Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Uno, a simple card game or cross-cultural facilitator?

I broke out the Uno cards this evening while about four of the trainers were watching music videos. They only have a few music videos between them and we watch them over and over and over. So playing Uno was a lot of fun, definitely more fun that just watching the videos. Everyone was crowed around watching, squeezing 20 people in the living room. All the players were so into it, getting really competitive. I soon realized that they were not really playing the “American” way. The purpose was more the prevent someone else from winning than from trying to win yourself. If you needed a red card next and you knew the person next to you could win if you played your red card, you would pick up cards from the draw pile until you got a draw 2 or draw 4. So every round, all the players would have 15-30 cards in their hands at one time, leaving little for the draw pile. This made for some very long games, we played most of the day, with up to 8 players at a time. I can now successfully play Uno using only Zulu.

There is no way one can make beetroot and not have it taste like dirt, end of story. The sad part is that it looks just like cranberry sauce so you think you are getting a treat, then you take a bite, dirt.

One of the girls at the house had a hair dryer and she let me use it. I was so excited. When I looked in the mirror, I though, wow, this is what I use to look like.

After one week, I feel I am a pro at taking the public taxis. I have successfully made it to work every morning and this weekend I went to St. Lucia.

1 comment:

Peddie said...

Ahhah, that sounds so great. Did I ever teach you Ligretto? It's another card game... even more competitive and faster too... but great!

Anyway, made me think of getting to know people over aggressive card playing, as I did way back when in Germany! (they don't have too many music videos either...)

How do you say "uno" in zulu?