Thursday, December 11, 2008

LST in Durban and the approach on the One-Year Anniversary


Life-Skills Training is a Peace Corps workshop designed to teach us the skills to teach youth about the skills they need prevent HIV. We were all gathered in Durban, a big city on the coast of KwaZulu-Natal. I love Durban, a big city and a beach, I could ask for nothing more. The training was useful but the best part was being in Durban with other volunteers. We could go outside at night, see movies and go to beach. I could walk around without being stared at all the time. I could talk in English and eat food I really liked.

When I first arrived in the village, everything was quaint and beautiful. The hardships made it seem like I was really doing something here, I could brag about washing clothes by hand and heating and carrying water. I was living like the people, learning how to survive. There comes a time when things stop being quaint and beautiful but dirty, noisy and annoying. The kids aren’t cute anymore, but malnourished and demanding. Washing clothes isn’t making me a stronger person, just a really irritated one. Thus, getting away from the village and going to the city and seeing other volunteers makes everything seem alright again. I returned from LST with only one more week at my NGO before it closes for the holiday and we get a three-week break. I am going to Durban and Capetown, getting a much needed rest from the woes of village life. I hope to be rejuvenated and see the community in a new light when I get back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
Happy thanksgiving, though a little late and an early merry christmas. Durban looks beautiful. Glad you are getting some much needed rest. I was reading in the paper this morning about the recent outbreak of cholera in South Africa and thought about you. Hope all is well.
Camilla

Peddie said...

Can't really empathize but can definitely sympathize. I really still am proud of what you're doing (easier than germans) and just... yeah. Glad you're still safe and having an enjoyable break, absolutely ;) You will probably have mail (I hope) when you get home, or shortly thereafter, btw. And something is not broken, though it may seem to be. I have to tell you how to fix it. Sorry to be so vague... you'll see.