Thursday, May 29, 2008

Graduation Party

The graduates

Set up for the meal, note all the balloon animals on the tables




Children with the balloons that all turned into hats by the end of the party




One of my neighbors with all the broken balloon pieced back together



Every caterer got her own special hat!

My mom catered a graduation party this weekend. She said my job would be to make balloon animals for decorations. I never thought this was a skill I would pick up in the Peace Corps, but they say to not have expectations. Luckily all the children just wanted hats, which was pretty easy. I became quite good at the giraffe, and dog too. Unfortunately I underestimated the amount of children that would come to the party and only had about 30 balloons for the 1 billion children that showed up when I started handing them out. In addition, it was very hot so all the balloons popped almost immediately but the very resourceful children found a way to patch all the holes and we were able to make more balloon.

If you go to a graduation party, anyone who has ever graduated university is suppose to wear their cap and gown. My host mom told me to wear mine but you know, my old cap and gown did not even make the first draft of the packing list.



4 comments:

devon query said...

I can't believe you didn't pack your graduation gown!! I take mine almost everywhere! very cute!
I love the hats you made and the resourcefulness of everyone. You will appreciate that we are in the midst of dance schools and miss you but are glad you are there and doing all the things I have been enjoying reading about. Peace, Devon

Peddie said...

Yeah, no kidding. I wear my graduation gown every friday just as a personal display of commitment...

Those hats are great! I love the picture of the kid with balloons all over! Nice work, and looks wonderful. Sorry I haven't commented in a while but... I'm here now!

Unknown said...

i feel i haven't heard from you in a while.

miss you.

devon query said...

Missing hearing from you!! Mark and I are in Nova Scotia. Only in the 50's today so have to pellet fire and wood fire going.
Miss you, Devon